"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you may go." Josuah 1:9

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The story behind the song.

From the moment we stepped out of the airport in port au prince (which has since been destroyed by the earthquake) and the Wray’s (the missionary family we stayed with) picked us up, we threw our entire pile of luggage in to their car and we started down the incredibly bumpy road. I had lyrics pouring into my head the entire time. Now I’m no writer as you can see by my poor grammar and run on sentences. I don’t write or play music at all the only thing I had ever written was a poem for my dad. So did I expect a song to come out of that trip? Absolutely not!God had other plans cause that song shared my experience in a different way on a different level and he also gave me a great friend through it. =) No one knew about the song the whole trip not even me really I was just scratching down lyrics every night. After we got back to the states and I finally wasn’t fuming about having to leave I pulled out my journal and played around with it a little bit. Never did I think it would ever leave that book. One night the Herrera’s son and I started chatting on Facebook (he was still in Haiti with his parents and I had been back for almost a month). We were kind of friends before this but it was a little odd for us to have a spur of the moment 4 hour chat. So as we started talking he was telling me about his guitar playing and how he found one there and was working on a song. So I slipped in that I maybe possibly wrote one about Haiti, immediately he asked for the lyrics. I sent them to him and by the next day he had a tune and we had made Mrs. Tracey cry!At some point it the conversation that evening it was said that we sould sing this song at our haiti presentaion!I'm not really sure how that happened but anyway. He came over the night they got back and played me the song, it was amazing! From then on it was tunes, bridges, which verse should open, should it be a duet, on and on! I was terrified! I’m the quiet shy one who is constantly worried about who is looking at her and what they think. So obviously standing up and singing in front of a bunch of people was not ideal. The fear kept amounting till one night Tony and I were practicing and I just felt like wow this is kind of cool isn’t it? Not many people can tell their story this way. Now I would very much like to say I kept that mind set and everything went smoothly but then I would be a liar. Well half a liar everything did go smoothly and we got so many complement’s some even asked if we had a CD of the song. Now no one could see it because I’m the kind of person that hides her feelings till they just about explode out of you (I know not a good thing). I was so nerves I was shaking! I was shaking so bad I felt like I was going to fall over. Tony was the perfect person for me to be singing with. He is all fun! He kept it light and made it feel like we were just singing in my living room again. Of corse that didnt stop me from being so hard on myself (once again I know not good). So all in all great performance aside from my “nerves shakedown” Okay I’m sorry that was really lame but I couldn’t resist! =D so one day I might actually get a recording of it and you all can hear it but until then it’s called “Love’em like Jesus” Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment